The left side-altar is dedicated to Our Mother of Perpetual Help and includes a lovely tile mosaic of the ancient image of Our Mother and her Son. The mosaic was installed as part of the 1959 remodeling of the church and replaced an altar for Saint Michael the Archangel.
The mosaic was installed as part of the 1959 remodeling and replaced an altar for Saint Michael the Archangel. The image of Our Mother of Perpetual Help has a long history in the parish evidenced as early as December 1940 when an annual novena was instituted in the parish by a Redemptorist priest. The attractive tile mosaic is modeled after the original image of the icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help which is thought to have been created on wood sometime between 1325 and 1480 likely on the Greek island of Crete. The original icon was next located in Saint Mathew’s Cathedral in Rome and venerated for three-hundred years with many attributed miracles. In 1866, the icon made it into the care of the Congregation of the Redemptorists founded by Saint Alphonsus Liguori and was placed in the new Church of Saint Alphonsus in Rome. At that time, Pope Pius IX told the Redemptorist Superior General, “Make Her known throughout the world!”; and, thus started the spread of the icon the world over.
At the Immaculate Conception Church, the shrine is frequently visited by parishioners offering prayers and supplications; and special devotions are held in the church on Tuesdays.