Immaculate Conception Church, Sacramento, CA
Address: 3263 First Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95817
The historic Immaculate Conception Church is located in the central Sacramento metropolitan area near the intersections of Highway 99 and Interstate 80 / Highway 50. The building has stood witness through many changes during its 112-year history and remains an anchor for the parish and community as a place of sacredness, respite and giving. The 1916 Romanesque Revivalist structure retains much of the original feel, including statues and images from older periods, while at the same time has been updated to reflect changes in the liturgy and the community over the years. The peaceful interior is an oasis from the busy Broadway Street running alongside the grounds and is a great place for prayer and meditation. The building is open for daily Masses at 9 a.m., as well as for Saturday vigil and three Sunday Masses, including the Masses in Spanish at 7 and 10 a.m.
Special things to see in the Church
> The Romanesque Revivalist architecture shown in the round arches and tower of the exterior and rounded-arch arcades of the interior
> The seven magnificent richly-colored stained glass windows on either side of the nave. Of special significance are two windows depicting The Immaculate Conception
> Shrines to Our Lady of Guadalupe and Saint Toribio Romo
> Shrine and mosaic of Our Mother of Perpetual Help in the left side-altar
> The colorfully painted tabernacle depicting the Annunciation with Latin words of the Angelus prayer
Interesting Fact(s) About the Church
The 1915-1916 construction of the church was orchestrated by Father William F. Ellis, one of two Irish brother priests who were the first to lead the parish. The Romanesque Revivalist structure took less than eighteen months to build according to parish records and was designed by architect Frank Shea (who was also the architect of the nearby Saint Elizabeth of Portugal Church). Father Ellis and his priest brother Father John Ellis presciently purchased additional lots (with their own funds) around the original church lots, which would be used for expansion of the complex in later years.
Father William Ellis was the pastor of the parish for 13 years, until his untimely death at age of 41; and was succeeded by his brother, Father John H. Ellis who served the parish for 11 years.
Contact us at Info@churchwonders.com for a detailed and illustrated Guidebook about this church.