The history of St. Rose of Lima parish started in downtown Sacramento as the first Catholic Church in the city. The current structure on Franklin Boulevard in South Sacramento was built in 1932 to serve the growing Catholic population. The Venetian Gothic style building of dark-red brick with contrasting white ornamentation sits on a peaceful compound with old-growth trees along with an elementary school, a rectory and large Kavanaugh Center. Inside, the church resembles a California Mission with a simple rectangular nave and open-raftered ceiling; and one will be struck by the brilliant red and blue stained-glass windows on the back wall of the sanctuary. Come early to attend one of the popular weekend Masses.