The glassed encased image of the ancient painting of Greek iconography of Our Mother of Perpetual Help hangs along the left side wall of the nave.
The image is enhanced with intricate metal crowns on Our Mother and the Child Jesus. The glowing golden image is illuminated with white string-lights and flanked by stained-glass windows with climbing vines. The bottom of the glass enclosure includes the inscription in Latin and English, “S. Maria De Perpetuo Succursu Mother of Perpetual Help, Pray for our Good Health and Healthy Mind”. The shrine was donated by a family from Bangalore in 2008.
The original image of the icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help is thought to have been created on wood sometime between 1325 and 1480 likely on the Greek island of Crete, after which it was located in Saint Mathews Cathedral in Rome and venerated for three-hundred years with many attributed miracles. In 1866, the icon eventually made it into the care of the Congregation of the Redemptorists founded by Saint Alphonsus Liguori and was placed in the new Church of Saint Alphonsus in Rome. At this time, Pope Pius IX told the Redemptorist Superior General, “Make Her known throughout the world!”; and, thus started the spread of the icon throughout the world. The shrine is frequently visited by parishioners offering prayers and supplications.