Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta (Kolkata) — St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, Bangalore

The statue of Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta (Kolkata) toward the back of the nave is also a favorite for petitioners’ contemplation.

The famous caretaker of the poor took the name Teresa, after Saint Terese of Lisieux, when she entered the convent at age 18. The statue is dressed in the blue-striped-trimmed white habit of the Order of the Missionaries of Charity which was founded by Mother Teresa in 1950.  The hands of statue are folded and the face carries an expression of loving concern that Mother Teresa exhibited so frequently as she cared for the sick and the poorest of the poor at many sites in the city of Calcutta (Kolkata) in her 66 years in that city.