Holy Cross Church, West Sacramento, CA
Address: 1321 Anna St, West Sacramento, CA 95605
Holy Cross Church in West Sacramento, California is home to what was the original Catholic Parish in this community, founded in 1915, in the city formerly called Bryte. The large neo-Gothic structure sits in a picturesque setting near the Sacramento River and is home to an active Catholic community which is famous for its annual parish festival. The large church can accommodate crowds for popular services and is also available for quiet prayer. The building includes beautiful stained-glass windows, as well as three images of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Daily Masses are held at 8:30 a.m. and weekend Masses include services in both English and Spanish.
Special things to see in the Church
> Three beautiful and sacred images of Our Lady of Guadalupe:
>>> A replica of the original image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico
>>> A colorful mosaic made by the parish school pupils
>>> The five-foot statue is used for processions during Our Lady’s Feast Day on December 12th
> The Christ the King stained glass window on the façade and other stained glass windows lining the sides of the nave
> The “Corner of the Cross” section has interesting historical artifacts of the parish and a piece of the True Cross
> The Chapel of the Blessed Mother provides a serene place for prayer and meditation
Interesting Fact(s) About the Church
The story of Holy Cross Church and Parish originates in towns that have now been consolidated into the City of West Sacramento: Broderick and Bryte. In 1915, as directed by the Diocese of Sacramento, Father Michael Walrath (called “The Builder of Churches” who built 11 churches in the Diocese) built two churches in the growing Broderick-Bryte community:
1. Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Church in Broderick on E Street between 3rd and 4th
2. Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church at corner of Yolo and Hobson Streets in Bryte (a mission church of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Church)
In 1954, Father Patrick O’Reagan was appointed to serve the parish consisting of the two churches (Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart). Father O’Reagan soon realized that the small wooden churches were inadequate for the growing population in the area and began fundraising. His efforts were successful and Holy Cross School opened in September 1957; and Holy Cross Church was completed and dedicated in November of 1960.
Contact us at Info@churchwonders.com for a detailed and illustrated Guidebook about this church.