St. Joseph Church, Tobias, NE
Address: 511 Elm Street, Tobias, NE 68453
Website: https://stwenceslauswilber.org (St. Joseph’s is a mission of St. Wenceslaus Parish in Wilber, NE)
A drive along State Highway 74 in southwestern Saline County will lead to one of the early Czech-Catholic churches built in Nebraska. The white-clapboard, Gothic-Revival structure has been a bastion of Catholicism in Tobias for over 100 years and is a historical and sacred space. The small neat church houses a lovely high altar featuring the Infant Jesus of Prague within a sparkling sanctuary. The interior is tied-together with an architecturally appealing ceiling and carefully-crafted woodwork; while the Statues of Mary and St. Joseph, along with the Stations of the Cross reflect a newness imparted by the caring parish. The church building is generally locked, aside from when Masses are held on Sundays.
Special things to see in the Church
> Sacred image of the Infant Jesus of Prague at the center of the high altar is beautiful; and is a reminder of the Czech-heritage of this parish
> The craftsmanship of the woodwork, throughout the church
> Statues of the Blessed Mother and Saint Joseph by the DaPrato Statuary Company
> Historic tin ceilings have been maintained for over a century
> Paintings of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of Mary, along the staircase at the rear of the church
Interesting Fact(s) About the Church
St. Joseph Church was built in 1913 under the oversight of the Czech-speaking German Pastor, Father Adolph M. Mosler (who later became Monsignor Mosler). Prior to that, in 1888, Father Philip Maly, S.J. unsuccessfully started a church building campaign for the Catholic families in Tobias who attended Sunday Mass in Milligan, ten miles away. In the spring of 1913, three “Josephs” approached Father Mosler with the idea of building a church. As such, these men, Joseph Markey, Joseph Lorenz and Joseph Laun were appointed as the building committee, and son, Joseph Laun, Jr. was the driver for the committee as they raised funds. Because of the involvement of these men named Joseph, Father Mosler decided to have St. Joseph as the patron of the church.
Contact us at Info@churchwonders.com for a detailed and illustrated Guidebook about this church.